Attitude is generally a mental position, relative to a way of thinking or being. It is a view point or a way of looking at things. It is a frame of mind and interferes in setting emotions, our actions and also our behavior. It plays a major role in determining our reaction or response to situations and the behavior of other people. Our attitude determines our approach to the world. Hence, as rightly quoted, if you think you can and if you think you cannot, in either way you are right, because it is a matter of your attitude.
Well, what determines our attitude? Answer is our thoughts. Then, what determines our thoughts? The experience, education and environment of that person. Hence the factors that drive the attitude of a person are these 3Es. An attitude represents an individual’s degree of like or dislike for an item or object or for a person.
An attitude has 3 components
- The cognitive– Our opinions or belief about the object or person.
- Affection– Our emotions and feelings that the object or person triggers.
- Behavioral– Our reaction towards the object or person.
Hence all behavioral changes starts with a shift in attitude, which in turn involves a paradigm, shift in the belief system of an individual.
People cannot be termed or classified as positive and negative. However, attitude is a choice, and one has the choice to look at things from his own perspective. But, to have the right perspective and paradigm is important, as it fosters inspiration, motivation, goal orientation, optimism, constructive and creative thinking and great expectations. It fills our mind with the energy for achievements.
Remember, a bad attitude is like a flat tire. We can’t go anywhere until we change it. At times, when we get stuck in the roads of life, it is better to have a look at the tire, change it and then speed through the high way of life for success. Well, how could we weave a wonderful attitude that determines great outcomes for our life? Well, we need to work on these 3Es.
- Experience- It is not what happens to us, but how we respond to situations that creates our experience. The same thing happens to different people, but they never say in unison, that they had the same experience. Hence, by altering our response to situations, we can have better experiences. Feed your mind with good thoughts for a better response.
- Environment- Our environment, the people, culture are all factors which might have influenced us and certain mindsets would have been created. However, remember, as grown we up we have the options to create our own environment by moving out of our comfort zones, shattering our regular patterns, exploring new ideas, getting displaced for work, connecting with different people, encouraging diversity and using our logical sieve to create our own environment which fosters a growth mindset.
- Education- Education from the right people, with lot of optimism and positivity drives in great attitude. It is said that we are the average of the five people with whom we have got associated. It is true; our associations are our great influencers. Hence, get associated with the great, read teachings of the masters, read success stories and autobiographies of the doyens. Build a network, a positive web of proton kind people, who gives us more of contents for rich and positive thoughts and learning, which showers us with all the wisdom to lead our life.
Remember no one can change your attitude, other than you, since, it is an inside out approach. Others can just help you…..